You should put a penny in the old man’s hat?
Well, my point is that this little ditty, which always brings a smile to my face, is all about sharing. Here at Ecology we are full of advice for greening your life and in the spirit of the season we thought we would give you 12 ways to spread green holiday cheer. We’ve got ways for you to keep kids and pets safe, your home clean and toxic free, and ways to avoid all that holiday waste!
But that’s not all. We want to hear from you too! How have you greened your holiday? Share your decorating, entertaining, and gift giving ideas that keep your holiday season green.
Here are a few of ours to get you started:
- Remember to take re-usable shopping bags on your gift finding excursions, they’re not just for grocery stores.
- Keep your pets safe from holiday hazards.
- Have a natural, germ free holiday: Use real soap, give real soap.
- Give non-toxic art supplies to the little artist on your list.
- Save a ton on holiday wrapping. Try the art of re-usable cloths. Alternatively, use baskets, bags or recyclable wrapping paper.
- When guests are gone & it’s time to clean. Use safer, thriftier cleaners.
- If you unwrapped a new 3D-TV? E-cycle the old one, it’s free!
- The kids are home on winter break and old cleaners might be lingering? Keep curious kids safe. Washington Poison Control.
- Keep your home smelling sweet with lots of naturals to choose from.
- Consider donating food you don't use for the big dinner or party.
- Are you dressing up for the holidays? Choose cosmetics and personal care products that are free of chemicals.
- After the holidays don’t forget to recycle or reuse paper, glass, plastic, and aluminum and compost scraps from holiday meals